- £ £11.70
Our client, a leading public sector organisation based in the Stormont area Belfast has a requirement for an experienced Assistant Scientific Officer to join the team.
This role is available ASAP initially for 3months with possible extension. Rate of pay is £11.70
Main Duties / Purpose of Job / Function of Role The Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute is required to provide the most efficient and cost effective testing facilities to deliver diagnostic and statutory testing which it carries out for its principal customer the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs for Northern Ireland . DSIB virology provides a statutory and diagnostic service for, the farming community and commercial customers, testing samples received for the presence of viruses, viral antibodies, suspect epizootic diseases and notifiable diseases including Johne’s disease. The DSIB virology section is also an approved designated laboratory for testing bovine tissue samples for the presence of BVDV as part of the compulsory BVD virus eradication programmes in Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland & Scotland. BVD testing is also carried out for the voluntary BVDfree England scheme.
The duties of the post are likely to include the following:
1. Collection, sorting and opening of samples, recording any non-conformances on Excel spreadsheets and alerting the Lab Manager.
2. Data input (logon) into the DSIB DU Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS). Clear labelling of samples.
3. Preparation of samples for testing.
4. Carry out a broad range of microbiological techniques.
5. Work to standards required by ISO17025
6. Ability to work as part of a team delivering diagnostic results within specific time schedule
7. Adherence to health and safety regulations for microbiological laboratories
8. Maintenance of laboratory records. This involves working with Excel spreadsheets, scanning, filing and emailing paperwork to clients.
9. Disposal of laboratory waste and responsibility for routine cleanliness, calibration and maintenance of laboratory instrumentation
10. Any other duties as required.
This list is not exclusive and the successful candidate will be required to carry out other duties as allocated by managemenEssential criteria:
Degree in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biological Sciences, Environmental Science or related subject. Practical experience of microbiology and molecular biology.
Specific Experience / Qualifications required
- A minimum of 5 GCSE’s including a science subject
- A general science background would be beneficial
- Experience of working in a laboratory environment would be beneficial
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work flexible working hours
To apply send your cv via the link