- £ 11.70 per hour
Assistant Scientific Officer – Omagh
Role initially for 3 months
£11.70 per hour
- Processing of diagnostic bacteriology samples from PM and PVP’s.
- Carrying out various bacterial identification tests including Biolog, Gram Stain, Anthrax Stain, Serotyping, Chemical tests and IFAT.
- Carrying out AMR testing on significant isolates.
- Preparation of samples for botulism testing.
- Carrying out testing for Toxo, Clostridium perfringens toxins, C.diff toxins and Salmonella Dublin using ELISA and LAT kits.
- Collection, checking and log on of samples from the post mortem room, recording any non-conformances and alerting the Lab Manager.
- Prepare histological worksheets and transfer sheets and cross-check these carefully before cassettes are sent in approved containers to VSD Stormont on agreed days. Emailing advance lists (transfer sheets) of case and related cassette numbers to nominated colleagues. Update log books on a daily basis.
- Upon return of the prepared stained slides, check each case / slides received against the transfer sheet and update the records. The slides are sent with the associated worksheet to the case VRO promptly. Any non-conformances to be raised with the section manager / VRO.
- Ability to work as part of a team delivering diagnostic results within specific time schedules.
- Adherence to health and safety regulations for histological and bacteriological laboratories.
- Maintenance of laboratory records.
- Disposal of laboratory waste with responsibility for routine cleanliness in the work area.
- Maintenance of stocks of consumables and chemicals in the laboratory by informing the section manager or from ‘in house’ stores.
- Any other duties as required.
You will have:
A minimum of 5 GCSE’s including a science subject
A general science background would be beneficial
Experience of working in a laboratory environment would be beneficial
Effective communication skills
Ability to work as part of a team
Ability to work flexible working hours