- Bruslee Belfast Rd, Ballyclare BT39 9LS and Orchard Way, Antrim BT41 2RU
- £ £11.28
- Waste Management
Winter Shift Pattern – 4 days working out of 7 days ends 31st March
08:45am – 18:15pm however Sunday work is 11:45am – 17:15pm.
Summer Shift Pattern – 4 days working out of 7 days starts on 1st April
08:45am – 20:15pm
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
Provision of Waste Resource Management (WRM) Services including the collection
of waste (residual & recyclable waste/resource) from the kerbside, street cleansing,
and Household Recycling Centre functions in accordance with the quality standards
set by the Council.
1. Carry out WRM Collection duties, to collect all approved domestic and
commercial refuse and recyclable containers presented, ensuring all
containers are returned to a safe position.
2. Assist the driver whilst reversing where appropriate to do so.
3. Daily reporting to the vehicle driver any actual or potential mechanical or
electrical faults, or damage to the vehicle.
4. When carrying out Street Cleansing duties, cleanse footpaths and adjacent
gutters, collection of litter on public highways and other specified areas
within the Borough to the quality standards set out by the Council by means
of manual sweeping, shovelling, litter picking, pedestrian operated suction
sweepers and other appropriate methods.
5. Emptying of litter bins and waste receptacles, weeding of footpaths and
gutters, cleaning of street furniture, removal of fly-tipped and fly-posted
materials, removal of animal carcasses and any other cleansing or
6. Collection of bulky domestic items, heavy garden waste, and
accumulations of waste resulting from illegally dumped materials.
Collection of litter, as and when required, on specified carriageways, verges
and any Council owned property.
7. Carrying out Household Recycling Centre duties, to supervise the disposal
of all waste, assist members of the public with the disposal of large and
heavy items, ensure that the use of recycling facilities are maximised and
that the site is kept clean, tidy and free from litter. Maximise the diversion of
waste resources from the residual waste stream to increase the recycling
and recovery of waste. Carry out key holder duties on occasions.
8. In the event of inclement weather preventing normal work undertake such
alternative tasks commensurate with the level of the post as may be
allocated by management, including gritting and snow clearance.
9. Maintaining records, completing documentation and all associated work.
10. May be required to drive a Council vehicle provided the appropriate
Category B licence is held.
11. Assist and carry out the delivery of Council communications, including
leaflets, stickers & flyers, which may require to be attached or stuck to a bin
or delivered through letter box or equivalent.
12. Contribute to the performance of the Operational Services Section to
ensure key performance indicators for the Section are achieved.
13. Communicate fully with your line manager, colleagues and customers in
order to enhance the service provided.
14. Attend meetings and participate in training relevant to the work of the
1 Demonstrate a team approach to achieving the objectives of the Section
through full flexibility in relation to tasks undertaken.
2 Provide a high level of internal and external customer service including
taking ownership of customer queries and complaints and following issues
through to completion.
3 Continuously develop personal knowledge and skills to enhance internal
and external customer service.
4 Comply with, and ensure that other staff comply with, Council’s policies and
procedures including those relating to health, safety, wellbeing and
5 Promote equality and diversity across all service areas through clear
leadership, effective policy implementation and demonstrating
appropriate behaviours in line with Council values.
6 Carry out any other duties commensurate with the level of the post which
may be assigned including working in other sections of the Department and
- Basic literacy (ability to read
- Minimum of 6 months previous relevant work experience in a waste environment
- Flexible approach
Good organisational and time
Ability to work with minimal
Computer literate (to use TMS
- Working knowledge of health
and safety procedures
including manual handling
and assisting driver whilst
Knowledge of waste
Please only apply if you meet the Essential Criteria